Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Why use Atlas Telamon as a title?


The primary purpose of this blog is to record my reactions as I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged for the first time. It's one of those books that I've always wanted to read, but I just never got around to it. I'm hoping this blog will encourage me to actually finish the book in a timely manner, and encourage me to continue blogging. I've started a handful of blogs over the years, but I don't think I've ever made it past a dozen posts. If following a single book helps my discipline, I'll probably continue the blog past the end of Atlas Shrugged. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

One last note. Yes, Atlas Telamon does sound cool, but it has a little more meaning than that. I want to read Atlas Shrugged because it seems like it's timeless. It Endures. I hope that this blog will eventually allow me to read other pieces of enduring literature. The type of book most people don't pick up to read on an airplane, but they wish they could just plow through someday. We'll see if this blog endures...

4 comments:

  1. And I thought it was refering to Lews Therin Telamon....

    (Did you ever read the Wheel of Time? I forget)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tripp, you inspire me. Seriously. I'm gonna go get my copy of Atlas Shrugged and read along with you. It has been gathering dust on my bookshelf for a year now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Roy, I haven't read The Wheel Of Time. Maybe I'll get to it on this blog someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomy from Chicago said...

    So did you ever finish it? How did you like it? She wrote this as an attempt to bring a typically dreary subject like philosophy and make it digestable to the average reader. As a story, I thought it was just average, but the philosophy behind the book makes it one of the greatest works of literature ever written! I found it shocking that there are many events from the book which are actually happening every day as I look around or read the daily news.

    ReplyDelete